Cry Me a River: What does it mean?


You start to complain about something. What do you understand if someone says to you, the phrase, "cry me a river"? See what it means: it said sarcastically to someone whose whining, complaints, or tears fall on unsympathetic ears.

Let me make it clear. When someone says "oh cry me a river" it means they are not sympathetic to your sadness. It's a sarcastic way of saying get over it, like the larger phrase, "Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it!".

In short, the expression 'cry me a river' is an exaggeration used to convey a sense of sarcasm when you don't feel sympathetic to someone's attitudes or something like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“The Unicorn in the Garden” de James Thurber.

Reflexões sobre a Escola da Ponte

Improve your essay writing skills!